Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Seminarian's Update: Dirk Labuschagne


Dear Members of Raleigh Court Presbyterian:

Greetings and blessings to you from sunny Chicago!  That’s right – sunny, not windy, as the city is usually known.  My first year at McCormick Theological Seminary has been during an especially mild and non-Chicago-like winter, and, I have to say, I am very glad.  I was able to adjust to studying, familiarize myself with the libraries, neighborhood, and my fellow classmates, and find my footing with my professors all without frostbite-inducing temperatures and mountains of snow.

I have just concluded a wonderful first year at McCormick.  My wife, Amy, and I live in student housing, and we have enjoyed the community and fellowship of McCormick greatly.  Hyde Park is a beautiful neighborhood, and I have taken advantage of the University of Chicago library as I have researched papers and prepared for exams.  At this point, Hebrew is behind me and Greek is before me, I have examined theological issues I studied in South Africa from an American perspective, and I have hammered out a “faith statement.”  I can say with a certain amount of confidence that, though it would seem easy, a “faith statement” is relatively difficult for a theology student to compose.  Imagine a law student having to write a “law statement!”  Next year I will be starting my field placement at Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church, which will give me invaluable experience working in a congregational setting as a student intern.

For the summer, Amy and I will be staying in Chicago, where she will continue to work until she, too, begins graduate school in the fall, and I will be involved in a summer program through a local congregation.  We look forward to the slower pace of the season, where evenings can involve a little more ‘calm’ and a little less ‘classwork.’  Toward the end of the summer we are fortunate to be able to make a trip to South Africa for a couple of weeks to visit our family and friends, as well.

Overall, I have worked hard and I have learned a lot.  I am thankful every day for the opportunity I have to study at McCormick and prepare for ministry in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  With my first year behind me, I know not what the next two years hold, but I am certain I am in the right place.  Thank you all for your support and kindness as I have prepared for and begun this seminary journey.  I value Raleigh Court, and look forward to returning for a visit soon!

Grace and peace,

Dirk Labuschagne

No comments:

Post a Comment