Thursday, January 17, 2013

Andy Travers - Off to Haiti


Why Haiti?

My interest in mission work in Haiti comes from several different directions: 
From a selfish position, I see Haiti as a tangible adventure.  I am an active person who likes a good challenge and is not afraid to try something a little different if I think it may make a difference.
 
When I was first confronted with the concern that children were starving and depending on filthy water for basic survival I felt God was reaching out to me to try to make a difference and change a life, little did I know, that life may be mine.
 
Haiti to me, seems to be an exception to the rule.  It is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and one of the poorest countries in the world, yet its proximity to the United States, one of the wealthiest countries in the world, is alarmingly close.  There is a part of me that just feels that this “exception” demands our attention, just like a wound demands exception on an otherwise healthy body.  I feel the Lord calls on the mighty to serve the weak and in some way Haiti and the people there in need is a call to action.  For some reason Haiti has been forgotten or ignored and it is now time for us to open our eyes.  
    
I was told that once you visit a third world country you will look at the world a little differently.  After my first trip to Haiti, I in fact, see the world a little differently and feel this perspective is a unique gift.  It has helped me need and want less and want to give a little more.  I am also far more happy with the many blessings I have.
 
Skeptics like to say, “gee, why don’t you help the people across the bridge or in our own area first?”  I would suggest that to help those close by is important as well, so we should do both.  Clearly, there are local people in need.  It is convenient, even easy, and by helping someone in our own community there is the possibility that such an activity may create a favorable change for the larger local community.  I think this is a good idea and even a good investment of time and energy.  While I can hope that over the decades the come the people of Haiti may make great strides in climbing out of the third world, I do not think that we or I will achieve any economic gain from our gifts of time and money to our causes there.  My gain will be in my hopes of changing a single life for the better and gaining personal perspective that may allow me to be a better son, husband, father, friend and Christian so that I can be better equipped to change lives both here and away in the future. 

Andy Travers

No comments:

Post a Comment