Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lori Earls - Off to Haiti


Why Am I Going to Haiti?

Rob and Beth Crittenden are in my supper club.  For years, I have heard them speak fondly of the Haitian people, and it has always seemed to be a remote, desolate place where “some other” admirable person was trying to help.  When I read Rob’s report to Session about how dangerously unclean the water is in Haiti, I was struck with a picture in my mind of very senseless, preventable disease and death in a country so close to our own.   I thought, “They can’t even wash their hands safely!  Someone should do something about this!  What good is an education if those we are teaching do not have the very basic needs to sustain life?”  And then, later on, a thought – no, a feeling – came to me.  “How can I help?”

I’m not an engineer.  I’m not a water expert.   I am just a middle-aged, rough-around-the-edges mom.   There are a thousand reasons for me NOT to travel to Haiti.  But I have been praying that through our team, we can bring a bit of Hope to a desperate situation.   If even one life is saved by our efforts, any discomfort to me will have been worth it.

Lori Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment