Thursday, February 14, 2013

Behold!


John 1:29-34

Behold!

“The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, ‘Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!’”  John 1:29 (NKJV)  

I love the unreserved sentiment of salvation and imagery this verse (and the surrounding text) and the other John the Baptist-related Gospel scriptures evoke and paint in my mind.    I see a non-conforming, wild-haired and unconventional holy man in a river, away from civilization, calling people to wash away their sins.  Who better to announce and identify God's ultimate sacrifice for our sins?  To tell us we can be baptized with the Holy Spirit?   To me, John the Baptist is a continuing reminder: (a) to be humble and non-judgmental of differences in others, (b) to accept and know that I can find God in what I might otherwise expect to be the most unlikely place or most unlikely person, and (c) to be open in my mind and heart to knowing and growing closer to Jesus and God's love at all times, not just when I'm sitting in a pew or doing something that would outwardly demonstrate piety.    Open your heart and mind to finding God in the unexpected.  You never know what you might behold.




As I walk through this day, let my heart and mind be free and open to find God in unexpected people and places.

John Blanton


No comments:

Post a Comment