Monday, February 25, 2013

Well?


John 4:27 – 42

Well?

“I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work [sowing], and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.”  John 4:38 (NIV)

Tupper recently introduced me to a poem by Studdert Kennedy called, “Well?”. The poet speaks of a dream during which he meets God in the next life. He did not see a throne or a judgment book. God reviewed the chances he had had to do good. What was done and left undone, God said, “was done to me. For all their souls were mine.”  The poet is remorseful for lost opportunities, and God tells him now that he is no longer blind, to wake up, go out and put into practice what he has learned. The last word in the poem is God asking, “Well?”.

Matthew 25:40 quotes Jesus, “…Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Consider Matthew 25:45 in which Jesus says, “…Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.”

In John’s and Matthew’s passages, I wonder if we might find meaning that dovetails with Kennedy’s poem. All we have is a gift from God. Do I take for granted what those less fortunate would consider blessings beyond belief?  What am I doing with the blessings God has so richly bestowed? WELL???




Prayer:  Dear God, please show me how you would have me sow and reap – to your Glory.

Judy Hensley

No comments:

Post a Comment