Sunday, February 24, 2013

Jesus’ Brothers and Sisters


Mark 3:31-4:9

Jesus’ Brothers and Sisters

Anyone who does the will of God is brother and sister and mother to me.  Mark 3:34 (Phillips)

Jesus was involved in ministry when his family tried to call him away for a moment of family time.  His response was to state that those who followed Him were his brothers, sisters, and mother.

When I was young, I thought I wanted to be a missionary.  I can remember the song, “Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight”.  I just knew that that song meant that I should go to a foreign land and tell others about Jesus.  Even in college, I was torn between being a Christian educator, a church musician, or a missionary.

Knowing missionaries over the years, I’ve been impressed by the selflessness of their lifestyles.  They give up the homes they have known, their friends, even their families, for the greater good of giving their lives to others so that they might know Jesus.  WOW.

The next part of the scripture goes into the parable of the sower (Mark 4:1-9).  Here, Jesus talks about the seeds falling on the path, on rocky ground, in the thorns and on the good soil, where it produced 30, 60, or even 100 times more.

As workers in God’s kingdom, we are all brothers and sisters of Jesus, sowing seeds to bring others to Him.




Jesus, Help us remember that as we follow you, we are your brothers and sisters.  Help us keep that in mind as we interact with others in your name.

Pat Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment