Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fasting and Limitations


Mark 2:18-22

Fasting and Limitations

Jesus speaking: “Do you expect the guests at a wedding party to go without food? Of course not! As long as the bridegroom is with them, they will not do that. But the day will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.”  Mark 2.19-20, Good News Bible

To me, this passage isn’t just a message about fasting, but also alluding to the fact that Jesus knew that his life was limited. I think that Jesus felt his disciples needed to celebrate life with him for the short time he had with them.  He knew that their energy should be focused on immersing themselves in the message and morals of God while God’s representative on Earth was there to explain in the clearest way imaginable. Though I completely understand the reasoning here, I personally find fasting to be an incredible way to connect with the rest of the world. I know, I know, it is intended to make us feel closer to God, but that isn’t exactly what I have gotten from it. For the past few years, I have taken part in fasting with other youth in the church. Every time that I do it, I gain a strong understanding of what millions of people on our planet go through every single second of every single day.  Fasting shifts my perspective on my life and the lives of those all around me.




God, thank you for the blessings granted to us and help the hungry to become satisfied.

Rebekah Wellons


No comments:

Post a Comment