Friday, February 22, 2013

It’s Time


John 3:22-36

It’s Time

“He must increase, but I must decrease.”  John 3:30 (NRSV)

I have two children.  Around 4th grade, when their math homework became cryptic to me, and I could no longer help them, I began to realize that I was no longer top dog in my family.  Now, playing Trivial Pursuit is a humbling experience.  They increased in knowledge, maturity, and wisdom.  Now, I’m not one to say that I decreased in these things, but I’m no longer the expert of my household on more subjects than I’d care to admit.

In a way, this is what John the Baptist was expressing.  To the people he came in contact with, he was known as The Baptist.  He predicted that Jesus was coming, so when Jesus finally arrives and begins baptizing as well, John takes the opportunity to step back a little.  He explains to them that everything sent by God is Godly, and that there is no competition for that Godliness.  There is plenty to go around!  He knew that the time had come that Jesus was to rise in notoriety so that he could perform the tasks set before him.




Father, help me to gracefully surrender the self-imposed
titles I’ve brought upon my self and to see the gifts of others more clearly.

Lori Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment