Friday, March 23, 2012

A BENEDICTION AND CHARGE


MARK 9:2-13
A BENEDICTION AND CHARGE

This is my Son, whom I love.  Listen to Him.”  Mark 9:7 NIV

Peter, James and John were stunned and speechless at the sight of the transfiguration.  Peter was so anxious that he rushed his words suggesting something, anything… rather that silently witnessing the glory of God.  And then God’s words, “enveloped in a cloud” came forth, “this is my Son, whom I love.  Listen to Him”.  After such an amazing experience they probably wanted to go tell the whole world but they did not understand Jesus’ admonition to not speak of this until the Son of Man had risen from the dead.  God said, “Listen to Him” and Jesus said, “Tell no one about these things.”  So both God and Jesus were charging the disciples with specific actions to do and from which to refrain. 

As I prepared this devotion my mind wondered what verse and theme would be revealed to me as one on which to focus.  During worship today, I reflected, as I do each Sunday, on the benediction.  I don’t know about you, but I find the benediction and charge to be so personal.  The prayers, hymns and sermon all build until Tupper or Josh speak words of comfort, encouragement and peace to each of us as we depart. 

I know the words of the benediction are from our pastors, not from God or Jesus, but the meaning conveyed are like precious gifts of personal exhortation and support that touch my heart in a meaningful way.  I leave the service more purposeful and encouraged. 

Lord, let us have ears and hearts that “Listen to Him”, and continue to bless our pastors as they interpret and share your word with us.  Amen

~ Mark Derbyshire

No comments:

Post a Comment