Saturday, March 31, 2012

HAVE MERCY ON ME, A SINNER!


MARK 10:46-52
HAVE MERCY ON ME, A SINNER!

Bartimaeus, a beggar, was sitting beside the road out of Jericho. He was blind.

Hearing a crowd, he asked, “What’s all the commotion? What’s going on?”

Someone answered, “It’s only Jesus of Nazareth.”

Bartimaeus: “It is?!” And then he shouted out, “Jesus, Son of David! Have mercy on me!”

Many told him to be quiet, but he shouted even more, “Son of David! Have pity on me!” Jesus stopped and said, “Call him here.”

Those near Bartimaeus told him, “It’s okay, now. He is calling you.”

Overjoyed, he jumped up, threw off his coat and went to Jesus.

Jesus: “What do you want me to do for you?”

Bartimaeus: “I want to see again.”

Jesus: “Go on your way. Your faith has cured you.”  Bartimaeus at once recovered his sight, and he followed Jesus.

When I am blind and do not see those near me, can I hear Jesus calling me?  Do I beg Jesus to have mercy on me – for my blindness?

And when Jesus calls me, how do I respond? How do I act?

Does it change the way I live …my everyday attitude and actions?

O God, restore my sight! Help me see you in my life, and ask for your mercy. Help me respond by being merciful to all I meet – by showing love the way you show your love to me! O God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

 “Open my eyes that I may see glimpses of truth you have for me. … Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit Divine.”   (Presbyterian Hymnal # 324)

~ Glenna Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment