Tuesday, March 13, 2012

JOURNEY OF FAITH


MARK 6:1-13
JOURNEY OF FAITH

 Although I love to travel, I hate the preparation that goes into it.  Do I need to pack for warm weather, or will it be cold?  What will I be doing while I am there?  Will it be business or pleasure?  Will the kids be going?  What do I need to pack for them?  Do I have my Blackberry, my camera, my laptop and chargers for all these devices?  Should we take travelers checks?  How much cash will we need?  Should I get online and try to navigate on Mapquest so I know the best places to stop for meals.   I am exhausted just getting ready, and I haven’t even begun the travel.

In Mark 6: 8, Jesus gave his disciples instructions as they left to go teaching from village to village.  “Take nothing for the journey except for your staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts.  Wear sandals, but not an extra shirt.  Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you leave that town.”  What?  Nothing?  But what if something happens and I am not prepared for it? 

And, that’s what the disciples did.  They went out and preached that people should repent.  They drove out many demons and anointed sick people with oil and healed them. All this accomplished with nothing but their staff and their words.  There was no emergency fund, or a contingency plan.  All they had were the words Jesus gave them and their faith in their role in Jesus’ ministry.  Their travels were a success because this was all they needed to achieve their goals.

Dear Lord, Please help me to remember that all my backup plans and contingencies are unnecessary because You have my today and all my tomorrows in Your control.

~ Stephanie Poe-Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment