Thursday, April 5, 2012

EQUAL FOOTING


JOHN 13:1-17, 31b-35
EQUAL FOOTING

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”John 13: 15-17 (NIV)

When I lived in Dallas I worked for a school that taught English to adult immigrants of various nationalities and their children. They took risks to come to this country to attain a better life for their families and they were often treated cruelly.  They experienced prejudice every day from people who viewed them as second-class thieves of American jobs and services.  Yet, through it all they were some of the kindest, most generous people I have ever met. By no means of my own doing, I was born in America with all the privileges that citizenship affords but I did nothing to earn this life.   People often judge immigrants harshly for wanting to come to America to try to provide a better life for their children but if the roles were reversed wouldn’t we all do the same? 

Jesus models how we should treat each other with love.  We are all on equal footing in the eyes of God.  It does not matter whether we are billionaires or homeless, senators or dishwashers.  Wouldn’t the world be amazing if, as servants and messengers of God’s love, we all treated one another the way Jesus taught?

Lord, please help me treat everyone as you see them, as beautiful children of God, no greater or less than one another.  Amen.

~ Wendy Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment