Tuesday, April 10, 2012

EYES OF FAITH


EYES OF FAITH

Mark 10: 46—52

“Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
My frantic cry pierced the noisy chatter of the curious
Who crowded the narrow streets of Jericho,
Gathered to see this wandering prophet
on his way to the Holy City.
Tales of his mighty works preceded him –
Perhaps, if they were lucky, they could watch him cast out demons,
Or listen to one of the strange stories he was said to tell.

“Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” I cried again.
“Shut up, beggar!” someone shouted.
 “How can we hear with your continual banter?”
Undaunted, I shouted even more loudly,
“Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”

My eyes were blind, but my hearing was acute.
From far distant I heard compelling words,
In a voice like none other I had ever heard:
 “Call him.”
The tone of the crowd changed.
“Take heart,” someone said. “He’s calling for you.”
“Move aside; let the man pass!” a loud voice cried.
 I heard the rustle of movement as the crowd parted,
forming a path to the Master.
I tossed off my mantle to move more quickly,
spread my arms wide,
feeling my way to this itinerant preacher –
this Son of David, my only hope.

“What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.

I thought of years sitting by the roadside,
Begging for coins …food…  sustenance,
Dependent… humiliated… scorned …

I used to earn my living, working long hours in the heat of the day,
Planting … harvesting … threshing grain for my daily bread.
Then came the accident.
My life turned upside-down.
            Blind.
What did I want Him to do for me? Only one thing:
“Master, let me receive my sight!”

“Go your way;” he replied, “your faith has made you well.”
Suddenly the darkness was lifted.
I looked into his loving eyes.
Go my way?
“My way is your way, Lord,” I whispered.

I followed him to Jerusalem.
I watched as the crowd hailed him “King.”
My heart swelled with hope and pride.

I watched as they cried, “Crucify him!”
I felt despair.
I watched from afar as they nailed him to the cross,
Carried his broken body to the grave.
I wept.
O, that my eyesight had not been restored!
Those awful images imprinted on my mind.

Later, I heard rumors -- 
“God raised him from the dead.”
With five hundred others I stood on a hill.
I saw him with my own eyes –
 with the eyes of faith Jesus gave me!

“Go your way,” he says. 
“Your Way is my way, Lord,” I reply.

                        -- Mary Jo Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment