Tuesday, April 3, 2012

SITTING ON THE STEPS


JOHN 12:20-36
SITTING ON THE STEPS

“ ‘Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? “Father, save me from this hour?” No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.’ “ NIV: John 12:27

Many years ago, while I sat on the steps outside my second floor apartment, a troubled woman came up the stairs carrying groceries on her way to the third floor. During the two years we lived there, we found the third floor a mysterious revolving door with different occupants weekly. I asked her how she was doing and offered to help. She responded candidly: She was a medical professional suffering from addiction. She felt hopeless – lost. The third floor was housing for rehab. In our brief conversation, which ended with a hug, I told her she’d make it and shared a poignant, painful part of my life.

Why was I on the stairs? How many small and huge decisions led us both to that day?
I believe the Holy Spirit landed me there, Furthermore, without being so naïve as to compare my experience to Jesus’, I believe my pain allowed me to “be there” for this stranger on this rock-bottom day.

When life is the most hard and painful, we deeply desire immediate relief and may cry out to God for help and/or question God as to the reason for our suffering.. However, as time passes and we heal (for which healing we may have lost hope), we may find a great purpose in our pain, our loss, our wound.

The difference is, in this scripture, when Jesus faced his suffering, he was wise and selfless enough to recognize that the pain ultimately had a great purpose, and he accepted it.

Lord, give me strength and comfort to endure the pains that I face so that as time heals me I may someday help others. Amen.

~ John Blanton

No comments:

Post a Comment