Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good or Bad


John 9:18–41

Good or Bad

“I don’t know whether he was good or bad,” the man replied, “but I know that I was blind and now I see!”  John 9: 25 (Living Bible)

Since my entry into middle school, English teachers have been lecturing against the use of the words “good” and “bad” in any work that students must do. Their main complaint tends to be that those words are too simple to accurately describe and present arguments that we as scholarly young pupils are capable of producing.

The simplification of such complicated matters as human nature seems naïve when such a miracle as restoring the man’s sight had been performed. The man didn’t know whether Jesus was good or bad , but based his judgment of Jesus’ nature on his encounter with Jesus. What I find remarkable about this verse is that out of all the people in the passage who question and doubt Jesus, the one man who was at first blind was able to see the truth that was God’s grace.


Dear God, thank you for your continuous grace and your ever-present miracles. Please help me to lessen my dependence on my own perception of your children who have answered your call. Amen
Emily Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment