Thursday, March 28, 2013

Right NOW


John 17:1–11

Right NOW

“Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”  John 17:3 (NIV)

I remember very clearly a conversation I had with my mother one Sunday afternoon when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old.  It was late in the day, and I don't know what was really on her mind, but she asked me, "What do you think happens to us when we die?"  ...heavy stuff for a kid!  But we discussed our best understanding of what we believed as Christians, and were left mostly with a muddle of vagueness.  I don't know that I've ever come any closer to being able to answer her question than I could that afternoon.  I've always been puzzled and full of doubts about the great hereafter... living forever? ...I just don't know.

But here, Jesus puts it so simply.  Eternal life isn't about living forever; it's about living NOW, knowing God, and knowing Jesus Christ...right NOW.  Being part of the life eternal starts today if I choose for it to!  Well...wow!  This brings me a certain peace that I no longer feel stressed to "figure out" what happens when my time on this Earth is through.  It doesn't matter in the same way.  I'm still full of ideas and hope and doubts, but my life eternal doesn't depend on that...I get to live it now.


Gracious Father,  Thank you for the gift of eternal life.  Help me to appreciate and rejoice in it every day. Amen.

Laurie Powell-Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment