Friday, March 29, 2013

No, you won’t


John 13:36–38

No, you won’t

“Jesus answered, ‘Are you really ready to die for me? I am telling you the truth: before the rooster crows you will say three times that you do not know me.’” John 13:38 (Good News)

The truth hurts, doesn’t it?  Even in well-meaning ways.  I’ve always meant to write to my grandmother.  But I don’t, and she knows I probably won’t.  I always mean to send Christmas cards, but they never seem to get out of the box.  And then the boxes get donated to other people who knew I’d buy them and not use at least some of them.

Peter really wanted to stand up for Jesus.  But he faced roman soldiers!  He saw how they’d arrested Jesus.  He knew how they would treat Jesus, because it was Rome.  The military was very efficient, and their protocols very well known.

And Jesus knew that too.  He knew that Peter wanted to stand by him.  He knew he would try to be brave, but Peter was human as well.  His instinct to protect himself was strong.  And he lived long enough to see Jesus resurrected, and to share what he’d witnessed of both his life and death.


Heavenly Father, forgive my thoughtless ways.

Lori Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment