Friday, March 15, 2013

WHAT?!


John 6:52–59

WHAT?!

“Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life...”

What in the world does this verse mean?  Are we to be cannibals? Eat flesh??  Of course not.   Then why is it in the Bible and what can we learn from it?

Food and drink are essential to life; without them the body will die.  And whatever we take into our bodies becomes part of those bodies.   As we eat and drink each day we take in the nutrients that nourish us so that we may live.   Jesus is telling us that our spiritual life is even more important than the body, for while the body will eventually pass away, the spirit will live on.  But it must be fed and nourished as the body is, and to do that we must take Jesus and His teachings into our lives so that our souls may grow and flourish.  He is essential to our spiritual life. 

As we take communion each month, as we take the bread and juice into our bodies, let us also take Jesus’ love, His teachings, His life into ours.


Dear Lord: As I take food into my body to grow strong, help me to take Jesus into my soul to grow more like Him.  Amen

Jeanne Pritchard

No comments:

Post a Comment