Thursday, March 21, 2013

Just tell us


John 10:19–42

Just tell us

“How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”  John 10:24

I studied Literature and Rhetoric in college, with a minor in journalism.  One of the lessons I heard over and over was “your voice should be clear”.  I was taught that I could create any voice, in any medium, and in any pattern, but I needed to know my audience and should write to their understanding.  If I was writing a preschool level children’s book, I would use language and characters than if I was writing a group of Nobel Laureates.

But Jesus couldn’t be clear and come right out and say “I am the Messiah!”.  If he had done that, he would have immediately been arrested.  He was keenly aware that he had to speak his truth in codes and in nuances. 

It is precisely this language that keeps me mesmerized, though.  Sowing seeds on rocky, sandy or rich soil is something that is as clear to gardening little ones as it is to Christian Educators.


Father, I thank you for the beauty and gift of language in the Bible.

Lori Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment