Wednesday, March 13, 2013

What do you really need?


John 6:27–40

What do you really need?

“Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.”  John 6:27

When I read this verse, I was reminded of an article I read concerning dieting. The author proposed that often when we crave food, but can’t find the exact taste to satisfy our craving, our body is really telling us we need water. Sometimes I would eat something sweet, but when it didn’t satisfy, I would try something salty. That too was not the answer. So I determined to check out the idea. Surprisingly, a tall glass of water fulfilled the need the next time I felt the urge to nibble.

I see a parallel in the spiritual realm. How often we spend money on gadgets, extravagant items we really don’t need, but hope to make us feel better. We find funds for lavish vacations, but feel we can’t afford an increase in our church pledge. Yet no matter how much “stuff” we accumulate, something is missing. That “something” is a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. St. Augustine said, “Thou hast created us for Thyself, and our heart is not quiet until it rests in Thee. “

Dear Heavenly Father, You have provided what we really need – Jesus Christ, the Bread of Life. Help us to make the right choice for our lives. Amen

Mary Jo Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment