Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Gate


John 10:1–18

The Gate

I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.  John 10: 9-10 (NRSV)

A narrow gate in the long fence,
The path to green and tender fields,
The only way in or out again.

Once closed, the danger stays without,
The gate protection to stand against
Night, cold, or thieves about.

A small path on the wide terrain
Of choices, feelings and Free Will.
Do I have the chance to try again?

Or will the path suddenly close,
Leaving me to stand alone?
Facing the thieves and cold?

The Gate swings wide and does not close
Against the wonders and goodness of life.
It holds back the terrors and woes.


Loving God, help me to remember that I am your sheep, and should listen to follow only your voice.

Lori Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment