Saturday, March 9, 2013

Jesus' Being


John 8:47–59

Jesus' Being

“Very truly I tell you,”  Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”. 
                                                                         
     In these verses, I see the characteristics of Jesus that have come to mean the most to me:  teacher, advisor/counselor, and bestower of truth.  The Jews did not believe Jesus as he defended himself to them.  They did not buy his revelation that he was there before Abraham.   I agree that it is indeed difficult to believe in things that have no obvious proof.
     "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!".  Why would the Jews believe that?  What does that mean?
     Well, we can look at the example about the meaning of art.  What is it exactly?  The best attempt I ever heard anyone make to answer this question was not an answer at all, but a simple statement:  Art is.  I thought about that, knowing the power of art.  It momentarily transforms you to some other place, good or bad, to either motivate you, scare you, actually arresting you while you stare into a deeply colored oil painting or just simply gazing at an intricately designed garden of flowers.  It is all about your own personal experience, I think.  Art is?  It's there, all right.
     When I hear from others, or read someone's testament about their belief in God, I want to shout, YES! because even though we all hear them all the time, it still renews me.  I never get tired of hearing examples, like that of one of my favorite comedians, "Tool Man" Tim Allen, discussing in a magazine article a low point in his life with alcohol abuse and winning the struggle.  The truth for him was that his stress leading to alcohol dependency was self-imposed.  He basically testified that things are going to be all right, when you believe in God.  Simple, but powerful!
     Could others' testaments and our own experiences be our proof that God is at work constantly in our lives today?  I believe so.




     Thank you for allowing me the experiences that have shown your mercy, guidance, and love.  I pray that everyone can know the love of Jesus and that I might reflect that love during my faith journey.  Amen.
Dinah Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment