Friday, March 8, 2013

Slavery


John 8:33–47

Slavery

Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.  John 8:34 (NRSV)

Have you ever told a lie?  Just a little one?  Have you ever told a
whopper? 

I was babysitting a young relative of mine, who mentioned he loved his grandmother’s spaghetti.  I asked him if she made her own sauce, and he said no, she made the pasta..
she grew the wheat…
in her backyard…
she ground it in her kitchen...
to make her homemade pasta.

I happened to catch on pretty early in the story, but he didn’t realize that I knew he was telling a tale.  And it kept getting bigger, and less believable.  When I told him I knew his Grandmother, and had been to her small ranch house, with a small backyard, he knew he’d been caught.  But he wouldn’t give up.  He swore it was true—every bit of it.  He couldn’t unravel from it, or he’d be found out.  He had become a slave to the lie.




Dear Lord, please help me to be the kind of person who follows your will, not my own.

Lori Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment